Jabberwock

Today, Mrs Thompson’s English group has been reading ‘Jabberwocky’ by Lewis Carroll. 

We talked about the made up words and had a go at deciding what we thought they meant. We realised that the poet has chosen words that are quite similar to real words so that we can tell what they might be supposed to mean.

We discussed the story that the poem tells and how we can read it even with all of the made up words.

What do you think of this poem, Year 3?

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Jabberwock

1. Iman says:

I loved the Jabberwock poem because it was so funny because the words do not make sense.

2. Ayaan says:

I thought it was super. awesome it was like I was in the story

3. Oliver B says:

I really enjoyed today because it was so much fun and we had to design our Jabberwock today!

4. Iman says:

When we designed the Jabberwock I loved it

5. Alena says:

I don’t like the Jabberwocky because some words are not real and it doesn’t make sense! I DON’T like this book LEWIS CARROL!

• Mrs Thompson says:

🙂 I like how you expressed your opinion in this lesson!
      But do you agree that Lewis Carroll has been very clever in how he created made up words that we can clarify the meaning of so well?

6. Nehal says:

I love the Stone Age trip because we made fire and we cooked popcorn.

7. Daniyal says:

I don’t know if the jabberwock is bad or good because he’s done nothing so I think he’s good.
    He looks scary so I don’t know

8. Alena says:

I also wanted to say
    IN YOUR FACE LEWIS CARROLL I STILL DONT LIKE THIS BOOK

9. Oliver B says:

I really enjoyed making my Jabberwok today because It was so much fun

10. Oliver B says:

I really enjoyed making my Jabberwok today because It was so much fun!

11. Molly says:

I loved the Jaberwocky poem because it didn’t make any sense in the first paragraph and the last one. We did this lesson in our guided reading books. The best part of the lesson was is that we got to even draw what we thought the Jabberwock looked like.

12. Lewis says:

I really enjoyed the Jabberwock because it was really scary and I really like scary books and there were lots of made up words but we could clarify the words also really fun.

13. Hayden says:

This poem was so funnny! He was so clever to make most of words sound like real ones!

14. Hayden says:

This is full of nonsense and mythical creatures. The boy In the story must be so brave! But the JABBERWOCKY must be very and dumb with his head of (dead).

15. Iman says:

The Jabberwock was just walking so why did the boy kill him? I liked the story but why does it not make sense at all? The story was amazing and the best story!

16. Daniyal says:

In the JABBERWOCK the dad is scared an the child is no t scared at all. The poem was so funny because there’s word that doesn’t make sence and exists

17. Hayden says:

The JABBERWOCKY looks so fierce and scary but not so strong…

18. Daniyal says:

The jabberwock was a fun story but a bit scary they kill it but they might be another one a live that might kill him

19. Megan says:

I like this poem but I don’t like it at the same time.

20. Iman says:

The Jabberwocky poem was not good because the story does not make sense and it was really , really scary.